work this

For one reason or another I've thought a lot about the issue of work
lately.  And I think we've (Baby Boomers on down) been making some
mistakes.  Work is not a distraction from life.  Work is part of life.
Life was made to include work, however you think life came about.  The
natural state of humanity is not that of hangin' out, wastin' time, and
self actualizin' with the homies.  Soul-breaking toil is too much.  But
work is good.  To do good work and become tired.  To labor at something
in the company and with the assistance of others.  To rest at the end of
the day.  That's good.  I don't want to Romanticize.  I don't mean to say
that if we work we will be content in all ways.  But it is good to work.
And throwing in our oar, contributing some pull to the commerce of our
time, is okay.  Is good.  (It's not okay to only sit at a desk: that's
why (one reason) gyms are so common in our age: the body wants physical
work, too.  Cries out for it.)  But this work thing.  Everything else can
be falling apart, but we still gotta feed the horses and get the crop in.
 But we still gotta go slay the wild boar to feed the young-uns.  You
dig?  We are made to work.  Our natures shrivel if we do not labor.
Poets do their best work, often, when they are besieged with work and
practical worries, not when they are allowed a life of leisure.  And we
*know* what happens to rockstars when they start doing mansion interior
decorating instead of living on shoplifted slimjims (i.e., when they are
lifted suddenly from their previous hunter-gatherer-worker lifestyle).

All I am saying, is don't do a job that sucks out your soul.  But do work
as if it is meaningful.  And don't convince yourself that working hard is
necessarily equal to having a soul-sucking job.  Working hard leads to
good things, as often as not.  Doing something as well as you can do it
is balm to the soul.  Who's that guy who rolls the rock up the hill
(besides Ozzy)?  Working hard isn't being that guy.  It is only working
hard.

I don't even know who I'm talking to or why.  Why is this relevant?
Where is my OtR content?  I thought they were a Christian band but I
thought I saw their drummer smoking with my friend Sally but that guy's
not in the band anymore so maybe he got saved.  Where am I going, and why
am I in this handbasket?

That is all.

Fred

Except for PS: Thanks Kelvo, Marie, Jess  :)