Re: First and final word.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Chris Emery wrote:

> An interesting etymological note:  the word "tragedy" comes to us, via
> middle english and latin, from the greek "tragoidia", literally "goat
> song"
>
> That's my well-researched conclusion for the day.

If you consider _The Cartoon History of the Universe_ good research, at
any rate.  ;)

Seriously, it bugs me how often the word "tragic" gets thrown around in
situations like this.  I'm not convinced it's anything of the kind.
Unless you postulate America as the hero whose tragic flaw brings about
his own demise.  But I don't think that's what anyone means.