Re: First and final word.

> http://www.michaelmoore.com/2001_0912.html

This "message" of Moore's was a reprehensible piece of trash. Here's the
response that I wrote to Mr. Moore this morning.

Delete now if you're not interested.

====

Dear Mr. Moore:

Using this tragedy as an excuse to grind your favorite axes is so repulsive
that one hardly knows how to respond. Nevertheless, I can't help trying.

> Here's a short list of my experiences lately with airport
> security:

This list of airport security lapses is indeed harrowing, but it's worth
pointing out that this system is exactly as lax as Americans want it to be.
We want to be safe, but we also don't want to be inconvenienced, and if we
/are/ inconvenienced, we'll throw temper tantrums and write letters of
complaint and essentially make life miserable for those who are trying to
ensure our safety.

> Am I being asked to believe that this guy who sleeps in a
> tent in a desert has been training pilots to fly our most
> modern, sophisticated jumbo jets

When did subtle racism become part of your M.O.?

> Or am I being asked to believe that there were four
> religious/political fanatics who JUST HAPPENED to be
> skilled airline pilots who JUST HAPPENED to want to
> kill themselves today?

Again, is the implication that religious A-rabs must be a bunch of stupid
camel jockeys who couldn't possibly learn how to fly an airplane. Huh? One
doesn't expect this kind of nonsense, even from you.

> What I do know is that all day long I have heard everything
> about this bin Laden guy except this one fact -- WE created
> the monster known as Osama bin Laden!

Because we taught him to use guerrilla tactics against an invading military
force? Gimme a break.  There's a world of difference between fighting for
your freedom against military advancement and murdering thousands of
civilians. We may have given him the training, but we certainly didn't
"create the monster". This is the type of knee-jerk counter-intuitive
response one expects from you, but I can't believe you'd stoop so low
in this time of crisis. "You got blown up? Well, it's yer own damn
fault! Let me outline the ways in which you've brought this upon
yourself..."

> Yet, our recent domestic terrorism bombings have
> not been conducted by a guy from the desert but
> rather by our own citizens: a couple of ex-military
> guys who hated the federal government.
>
> From the first minutes of today's events, I never
> heard that possibility suggested. Why is that?

I don't know which television stations you watches, but millions of us heard
this possibility suggested on all four of the major networks. More than
once. As Peter Jennings put it, "We learned our lesson after Oklahoma
City".

> Will we ever get to the point that we realize we
> will be more secure when the rest of the world isn't
> living in poverty so we can have nice running shoes?

As someone in another forum put it, "Not all the world is poor, Mike; and
since the poor nations were poor before our Marines rounded them all up and
forced them to take jobs in Nike plants, perhaps there are other causes for
their poverty."

Think about it.

> In just 8 months, Bush gets the whole world back to hating us
> again. He withdraws from the Kyoto agreement, walks us out of
> the Durban conference on racism, insists on restarting the arms
> race -- you name it, and Baby Bush has blown it all.

Right. Yes. The Middle East just LOVED us before Bush came into office. Just
ask Syria. Or Libya. Or the PLO. Or Osama bin Laden, for that matter.

I don't like Bush either, but this kind of opportunistic finger-pointing is
sickening.  Stop talking out of your...uh, "agenda" and allow yourself the
decency to cool it, if even for a week. You've got the rest of your life to
blame other people for atrocities. Let's pull together, just this once, eh?

> If someone did this to get back at Bush, then they
> did so by killing thousands of people who DID NOT
> VOTE for him! Boston, New York, DC, and the planes'
> destination of California -- these were places that
> voted AGAINST Bush!

Newsflash, Mr. Moore: you and your cohorts are the only ones who are
interested in dropping a bomb on Mr. Bush. If you could stop stabbing your
fellow citizens in the back for just a couple of moments, you might note
that this was an act of terror specifically designed to murder civilians.
Foreign U.S.-haters do not join you in your championing of their causes.
You're right, they don't like Bush.  But guess what: they don't like you
either. (And, for that matter, they don't like Gore and they don't like
Nader)

> Let's mourn, let's grieve, and when it's appropriate
> let's examine our contribution to the unsafe world we
> live in.

Yeah. But now, as we're still searching for the dead and wounded, still
wiping the tears from our eyes, still feeling the strain on our hearts, now
isn't the appropriate time, Mike.

I understand that the United States is not an icon of political and military
purity or justice. I understand that other nations have reasons to dislike
us. I  understand that we have internal problems. But it sickens me that
people are already propping their well-worn soapboxes up in front of the
rubble and using this horrific tragedy as an excuse to lather at the mouth.

It sickens me that at a time when our nation needs to pull together, there
are those who only want to cause further strife and division, to undermine
those leaders who are now struggling to pull us through this crisis. In
this, a time of historic pain, all the nation looks to our President with
dirt, blood and tear-stained faces, and all you can do is throw a tomato.
Bravo.

You have a few interesting and even insightful things to say every once
in a while, but this is unforgivable. As someone in (yet) another forum
said, "this guy's monomania is sick".  I'm finished with you, Mr. Moore.

s&th
cirhsein at yahoo_com