Tom Robbins' Novels

When I met Victoria Williams at Cornerstone Magazine's Music And Arts
Festival in July, I joked that I should have brought my VHS copy of Even
Cowgirls Get The Blues, so she could autograph it. Immediately, she
shrank down in her seat, covering her face with her hands, embarassed at
being in a film, referred to, by Jeffrey Lyons, discussing his worst ten
of 1993 list, as having been "edited wth a chainsaw."
So much of Robbins' Seventies meganovel was left out, that the film
seemed like one of those educational C.D.-R.O.M.'s, popular in the mid
1990's; something to be used as an audio-visual aid to illustrate
certain scenes from the book, not a whole-hearted attempt at telling the
novel's massive, mystical, and very intense (mature readers only,
please;-)) story.
She agreed with my observation that the screenplay's Debbie, the hippie,
came across as having ice-water in her veins, coldly explaining the
reticence of the whooping cranes to follow their natural migratory
pattern, in sharp contrast to Robbins'  writings regarding Debbie, the
hippie, as the warmest, most caring, earth mother possible, which
sounds, sort of, like Williams, herself.

My favourite Robbins novel is the Carter era (every president gets one,
all the way back to Nixon) Still Life With Woodpecker, which, prompted
Dan Fogelberg to repeat the question, "How Do We Make Love Stay?"