that wacky contemporary dance subculture & stryper

Derek A Collins <derekac001 at hotmail_com> wrote:
> I love all kinds of music and can be stirred
> by all sorts of unusual things... The exception?
> I confess with shame that I am unable to find my
> way into the various forms of contemporary dance
> music...
>
> (hip-hop,

this is a broad, multi-encompassing style... Lauryn
Hill fits here, so does Dr Dre, so does Destiny's
Child, so does jazzster DJ Logic.

good stuff in hip-hop... Jurassic 5 and DJ Logic...
and that Lauryn Hill record is pretty well done,
too.  DJ LOGIC is a good instrumental DJ who brings
a live band with him.  very jazzy and hip-hoppy...
he's collaborated with Medeski Martin & Wood (jazz
trio supergroup) on record and in concert.

i'm fairly pro-hip-hop.  i don't like most of the
modern radio/commercial rap and hip-hop, but there
are a lot of good thinigs out there in the hip-hop
realm.

> rap,

JURASSIC 5's _Quality Control_ was one of my top
3 albums of 2000 (A Perfect Circle _Mer de Noms_
and <i forget> were the other 2).  jurassic 5
brings musicality into their art of rap.  4 MC's
and 2 DJ's... all original.  quite refreshing, and
their lyrics are quite positive.

THE ROOTS are pretty cool.  i forget the guy's name,
maybe Rahzel, but whoever, he can beatbox like you
seriously would not believe.  he makes noises with
his mouth like he's an entire drum kit & percussion
section.  it's utterly phenomenal.

the X-ECUTIONERS are a fun rap group.  similar to
Jurassic 5 or DILATED PEOPLES in style.  good
musicality, not paid much attention to their lyrics,
though.  so i can't speak on those matters.

i've heard that L.A. SYMPHONY on Steve Taylor's
former Squint label are pretty good.

DR DRE's _Chronic_ album was the best gangsta rap
album made.  i own it, and pull it out once in a
while.  it's fun.

Cincinnati local jazz-rap group ISWHAT? is pretty
good.  i've still yet to see them live, but i have
an EP which is great.  local hip-hop is some fun
stuff... the shows are fun, FUN!!

> techno,

Nine Inch Nails, Chroma Key (mellower side), Bjork
(somewhat), Fear Factory (techno-metal hybrid),
Circle of Dust, Klank, Argyle Park/AP2, Celldweller,
Angeldust, Crystal Method, Paradigm Shift, Disque
9 (well, that one kinda sucks)...

> jungle,

i can't think of any off the top of my head, but
i know that i've heard some and liked it.

i love my URB magazine, which covers all of the
musical styles above... and comes with a freebie
CD sampler every other month... http://www.urb.com/

there's all kinds of other DJ-involved music that
i totally dig... Moby, Incubus, DJ Shadow, BT...

> I am afraid that this is basically because I
> am too old and I regard it as a failing.

ack... i barely understand the "too old" part, but
that's your preferential opinion... but the concept
of those forms of music/art as failing, well, i
disagree wholeheartedly.

there are tons of great inspiration in stuff out
there...

> Who defines what is "quality, intelligent,
> thought-provoking music"? Who defines what is
> good music and bad music?  There is some music
> that I enjoy because it is intelligent and
> thought provoking.  There is some music that
> I enjoy because it bypasses my brain and goes
> directly to my heart, or even to my body.

yep.

> I can't offhand think of anything in my musical
> tastes that I am ashamed of.

i'm ashamed of some... anybody want to buy 4 old
Stryper LPs?  Yellow and Black Attack, Soldiers
Under Command, To Hell with the Devil, and In
God We Trust all on vinyl- decent condition?  :)

Stryper's 5th CD, _Against the Law_, was by far
their best... and the only one i kept... well,
that and The Collection.  :)

honestly,
Dan

np: chevelle - point #1