Re: Guilty musical pleasures

When people ask me what kind of music I like, my basic answer is a limp one.
   I like all kinds of music.  This is the answer that you might expect from
someone who knows very little of music and things, like the bartender in the
Blues Brothers, of "country AND western"

In my case it happens to be true, with one single exception.  I love all
kinds of music and can be stirred by all sorts of unusual things.  I love
the whole range of classical music, rock, folk, jazz, blues, various ethnic
musics from all over the planet, and all kinds of popular music from the
length and breadth of the 20th Century.  Have I missed anything out?  Assume
for the moment that I like it.  You'd probably be right.

The exception?  I confess with shame that I am unable to find my way into
the various forms of contemporary dance music (hip-hop, rap, techno, jungle,
etc).  I am afraid that this is basically because I am too old and I regard
it as a failing.

Who defines what is "quality, intelligent, thought-provoking music"? Who
defines what is good music and bad music?  There is some music that I enjoy
because it is intelligent and thought provoking.   There is some music that
I enjoy because it bypasses my brain and goes directly to my heart, or even
to my body.

I can't offhand think of anything in my musical tastes that I am ashamed of.
  There are many things that others would scorn but I regard that as their
problem, not mine.

If anyone want to come and explore the obscure corners of my record
collection  at any time, they are more than welcome!

'Wherever Jesus went there was a revolution;
wherever I go people serve tea"
                           (Anthony de Mello)