Captain Obvious

Wait a minute... how do you guys know about Captain Obvious?  The Captain I
know was a running gag in one of the Off-Off Campus shows at the University of
Chicago, back in 1989 or 1990, when I was in college.  Off-Off Campus was the
improv and sketch comedy troupe (I think one of the very first such college
troupes).  The sketch went like this: someone would be in trouble, and Captain
Obvious would come running in to help, and just state what the problem was, and
then dash off again, saying "all in a day's work for...  Captain Obvious!"
This would happen three times throughout the show.  I think the last one had a
twist, where it wasn't obvious at all, or (this being the U of C), it had
something to do with translating classical Greek or something.  The one I
remember was "you've locked your keys in your car.  In order to get them out,
you will need to find another way of entering your vehicle.  No need to thank
me.  All in a day's work for... Captain Obvious!"  Another one involved
algebra: "You need to solve this equation for 'y'.  No need to thank me..."
Oh, no wait!  I remember!  There was someone wandering back and forth across
the stage, deep in chin-scratching thought, and Captain Obvious came leaping on
stage.  The other guy says he's pondering whether or not he really exists, and
Captain Obvious slugs him in the jaw.  The guy falls down, outraged and
surprised, and Captain Obvious says "did that hurt?"  The guy splutters, "Yeah!
Of course!"  And Captain Obvious says "No need to thank me.  All in a day's
work for... CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!"

Dang, that was a long time ago...  :-)  I can't believe I remembered that.
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                          http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
					     - Sarah Williams