Marky Mark as the missing link?

P.S.  Since I do love the current summer movie
critic's entry (especially on A.I. *dang you all are
so insightful* - please tell me, everyone, what you
thought of Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes".

I'm not sure if you really want me to do this.

 It's not that I like the actor, it's just that the main point of the whole
story line were clearly depicted in those two movies.

I have to start out by saying that although I enjoyed the first movie, I hold
no real special place in my heart for it.

Can't wait to hear your voices on "Apes".

Ok here it goes.  I went to the film on opening night with my campers, and I
must admit that i hhad some hopes for this film.  I have often enjoyed
Burton's work, and from the trailers, I was convinced that at least the film
would be beautiful to look at.  Unfortunately, there was little more to
rejoice over in the film than the Production desgin.  Sure it started out all
right, a little cheesy, but alright.  Then we moved on to the best part of
the film, in my opinion.  From the point when Wahlberg crashes to when the
enter the forbidden zone Burton seems to at least hold a strong grip on the
direction of the plot and the viablity of the whole thing.  Roth's
performance is fantastic, if a mite bit over the top in my opinion, and the
sexiness of Carter even under the ape suit is very impressive.  There are
definite moments of confusion in this section including but not limited to
Kristopherson's role (Why is he in this movie?) and what is the point of the
basketball games and the cuteness of the entrance to the city?  Burton seems
to lose his balance from his perch on the razor-sharp edge between humor and
darkness.
      Then, I think for anyone who has seen thhe movie, there is no real
need to point out the vast number of flaws in the film following the entrance
into the Forbidden Zone: the monkey, the girl's brother, the ship, the
battle, the ending, etc.
      Now that I think about it, I think that my beef with the film,
although substantial, could be more accurately aimed at the trailer.  From
seing the trailer, the whole film would be thought to be on a much more
serious and epic level than it is.  I suppose that we could step back and
remember that it is Tim Burton directing, so craziness is expected.  Still,
Burton has brushed with the fairytale and epic story on a number of
occaisions, Batman, Nightmare before Christmas, and Edward Scissorhands all
hold elements of the fantastic in the sense of a strong connection with
classical ideas of mythology.

As I read back over my e-mail, I realize that my analysis makes no more sense
than the film, and so I say, "It is good."

Steve