Re: Readings...

On 7/26/01 2:46 PM, quoth the effervescent GidgetTMsMan at aol_com at
GidgetTMsMan at aol_com:

>What!?  How can you read The Fellowship of the Ring and not go on to finish
>the series.  I mean we're not talking about a bunch of Rob Jordan or Ann
>McCafferty books where there is some denoument at the end.  This is a cliff
>hanger.  Please finish The Lord of the Rings!  I beg you.

That's not a bust on Anne McCaffery, is it? Don't make me hurt yo-- oh,
wait. I've been busting on her myself lately.

See, I'm a fantasy freak. Utterly. And Anne McCaffery was one of my first
loves. "The White Dragon" was one of the first books I ever freaked out
about. Loved it. But I lost interest after, oh, All The Weyrs Of Pern. It
seemed like the same thing over and over. Never went back. Not yet, at
least. But I go ape for the Harper Hall trilogy, and that's partly
because of the gorgeous covers on the Bantam editions, even though the
firelizards are way too big. They're just so much more beautiful than the
Michael Whelan conception.

And Robert Jordan just seemed like yet another "Get on yer horse, boy!
The fate of the universe is at stake!" saga to me, and having just reread
the Belgariad _again_, it didn't hold up.

Now, Tad Williams...oh, BABY!

>  Speaking of homosexuals and
>reading, I have been devouring David Sedaris' books.  Love them to death.
>
>Steve

I first heard him on NPR reading from "Me Talk Pretty One Day." I almost
drove off the road and killed myself laughing. Not in that order. But I
picked it up in a bookstore and started leafing through it, and it seemed
so different. Much darker. And it's not the same without his semi-geeky
voice. I might just have to pick it up on tape, which I've never done
before.