homophobia (little otr)

first off, regarding "june", i don't see any sort of lesbian imagery, not
even subtle...but that's just me. i never seem to read sexual imagery or
metaphor into songs, it's not the way i think. (now, dealing with modern r&b
is different...it doesn't get much more blunt than *that*)

anyway, back to the issue that i thought i would keep my mouth shut over. i
think the hyperbolic nature of some christians really needs to be taken
stock of here...do any of you realize how much things get over-dramatized in
some modern christian groups? so we all make mistakes, so we all naturally
drive on the selfish side of the road. so what??? if it's something we feel
*truly* bad about, we fix it. we atone in whatever way we see as atonement.
no matter what we believe, what religion/denomination/social class we are.
right? i know that in my case, that's what i do. if i've done something that
i know is wrong, and i feel bad about it, or if i feel bad about how it has
affected someone i care about or respect, i seek forgiveness and i
(hopefully) don't do it again. sounds reasonable, n'est pas?

i don't think "sin" is a disease. i don't. and i didn't when i was a
card-carrying christian, either. it's like saying humanity is a disease. to
speak in further christianese, to sin is just a part of being human, and no
one can deny that. and i think it's just as much of a wrongdoing when you
ask forgiveness for something you don't feel is wrong and isn't hurting
anyone.

and i don't think homosexuality is a sin. i don't care what you say, nothing
will change my mind. not even your biblical quotes and arguments, some of
which are often misinterpreted anyway. i believe there is a reason for
everything...and someone's sexual orientation is given to them the same way
i was given hazel eyes and black hair. end of my story. i have too much
personal evidence to be swayed from that.

now i do know that there are people who get confused and think they are gay
when they aren't. whatever, it's their deal. i know there are people who
give in to peer pressure around them and try to be gay, when they're not. (i
can explain that one.)

but that is not what i mean.

i mean parading around, championing against gays, and not just disapproving
or disagreeing, but actively SHOWING THAT YOU ARE DISGUSTED. i'm sure you
don't like it when someone walks around saying "christians suck! god is
dead!!!"

i was watching "if these walls could talk 2" on HBO last night, and the
first vignette absolutely killed me. it was set in 1961, and the premise was
that this older woman's partner had a stroke and died. they had been
together for years and years, but because of the intolerance back then, the
poor woman couldn't see her partner in the hospital, couldn't make funeral
arrangements on her own, and couldn't even keep the house they shared.

do we really want to keep treating people that way? think about it. and
don't throw any of that "love the sinner, hate the sin" bollocks at me. it's
the biggest cop-out i've ever heard...unless you are someone who *really*
puts that belief into action.

jillian.