Re: question about the bible

In a message dated 7/21/2001 11:09:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
CheetahJN at aol_com writes:

I'd like to preface this by saying that I am neither a Christian nor an
opponent of Christianity. I am asking this question not to be difficult,
only because I'm curious how it will be answered. Basically, I'm posting
this for mine and your entertainment.

My question is; Where does the bible get its authority? Please don't give
me quotes from the bible when you answer this question because to me at
least, you cannot use the book as it's own source. If you want to tell me
the early popes cannonozied it, or that the authority comes from you
accepting it as such, that's fine. Just give me something that makes the
bible more then a book of ancient Jewish mythology, folk tales, laws, and
literature.
In other words, why should I, or anyone else take the bible more seriously
then say Greek mythology?

Well actually, I'm not the kind of person to 'prove' the validity of the
Bible.  If you remember any of the posts about faith last month or so, some
of the members were trying to argue to prove the Bible and the divinity of
Christ through science.  On the contrary, it is something that by it's nature
and definition must be accepted solely by faith deduced from personal
experience.  "We can only possess what we experience.  Truth to be
understood, must be lived"  It's out of anyone's capability to show you
something that you must research and come to your personal conclusion.  If
you don't want to then go about your merry way.

Mike