Re: question about the bible

<< My question is; Where does the bible get its authority? Please don't give
me quotes from the bible when you answer this question because to me at
least, you cannot use the book as it's own source. If you want to tell me the
early popes cannonozied it, or that the authority comes from you accepting it
as such, that's fine. Just give me something that makes the bible more then a
book of ancient Jewish mythology, folk tales, laws, and literature.
 In other words, why should I, or anyone else take the bible more seriously
then say Greek mythology?  >>

Ah, therein lies the difficulty of backing any religion really or of anything
pertaining to the supernatural or metaphysical.  Really, there is no
scientific proof that can be given that God exists or that the Bible is the
deity's communication with humanity.  Some people point to the accuracy of
the histories as they have been able to be checked by non-biblical historians
and archeological digs, and this hold some validity for the Bible as an
honest book but none as it is a holy book.  In the end, there is no way to
"prove" the spiritual of life.  Were it possible, then it would not be
SUPER-natural or META-physical.  You could say that the Bible's truth is
proven by the fulfillment of the many prophesies, but if you think that the
Bible is merely a conspiracy of a bunch of men in the first and second
century, then that arguement holds no water.

All this blabbering is just to say that there is no definitive proof that the
Bible is the word of God if you don't believe that what it says is the truth.
 This is where faith comes in.  This is not to say that it is a faith without
reason, for if I had more time I could argue at length as to the reasonable
nature of faith in God re: Kierkegaard, Elliot, Lewis, Pascal etc.

I'm sure this doesn't help much as it is not really an answer.  I suppose it
is kinda a Taoist/Buddhist idea that the proof is in the journey and not
necessarily in the tools or the ends themselves.

Steve