Re: Fwd: A.I. (obviously no OTR)

> > Intriguingly, though, his suicide may be a sign of his humanity; I am
> > told that humans are the only animals that deliberately kill
> > themselves.
>
> Uh...Except for those lemmings and I believe there are others.

Lemmings kill themselves *deliberately*?  No doubt animals behave in ways
that are self-destructive, but the key question here is whether animals
kill themselves *deliberately*.  Not, mind you, that David is really
committing suicide, since he knows he can survive underwater.

> > > I believe they are aliens as that is how Spielberg referred to them
> > > in an interview in Premier or Entertainment Weekly, I don't remember
> > > which.
> >
> > A slip-up, obviously.  :)
>
> Ummm...I'm still not convinced. If you can find me an article where
> SPIELBERG refers to them as robots, then I will be thoroughly convinced.

Well, unhappily, the EW with the cover story on _A.I._ has somehow failed
to show up in my mailbox, but the *next* issue, with _America's
Sweethearts_ on the cover, has an item on page 14 that confirms that the
beings at the end of the film are androids, not aliens.

Of course, they quote effects supervisor Dennis Muren ("I could see where
people would get mixed up ... We talked to Steven about it; he said,
'It'll be okay'"), not Spielberg himself, but that's good enough for me.