Re: Cornerstone dismay

> > here's we some of us just part ways with ya.  the
> christian claims etc.
> > come via the bible and are taken on faith (its
> authority is too).
>
> Ah, but what's interesting about Christianity is
> that it is founded, in
> some ways, on a *rejection* of the biblical laws
> that had come before.

i don't know if i'd classify it as a rejection of the
text as authoritative.  instead, it seems like a
reevaluation of its meaning.  it's a fuller
understanding of the plan...a greater extention of
what was understood with only the old testament.

> Many Christians today argue that the church accepts
> the "moral" laws of
> the Old Testament but not the "purity" laws.  So, if
> we accept that
> distinction, the question facing us, with regard to
> homosexuality, is
> which side of the fence it belongs to.  Is it a
> "purity" issue (up there
> with the laws that forbid polyester and having sex
> during a woman's
> period) or a "moral" issue (up there with the laws
> forbidding murder)?

i stand puzzled :)  i'm not sure if i could make that
distinction.  were slavery issues lumped in with
"purity" laws???  i'm not sure how they were conceived
in the time, but i assume that it would currently fall
under "moral" laws (in terms of rebelling against
masters etc.).

i may start trying to think about this some more and
read up too.  it'd be good since it's definitely more
a part of my life.  i have lots of homosexual friends,
and the territory becomes ever more uncharted.

-j. marie