Re: mary moon?

hello :)

> i think i've shown plenty of times on this list that
> i am perfectly capable
> and willing to make the effort to think about an
> issue and reply. i've
> written enough long-winded replies to stoke the
> fires of enough discussions
> around here to prove that. i'm not lazy. i'm not a
> cop-out...

what i mentioned really wasn't about you :)  i don't
know the motives of the people here, but i listen
enough to friends and throughout life's basic
experiences to make the observation i did.  it was
just a thought in addition to those brought to the
table.

> i just don't
> think any of us are going to convince the rest of us
> that what they believe
> is "right".

ya know, that's really fine.  not everyone has some
tally system for winning people to their point of
view.  and like you, i think it really is healthy.
it's a good exercise, if you will.

i think more importantly, caring about people
sometimes leads you to bring out things you believe.
maybe it could help them (and there is the risk that
maybe not...but that doesn't mean we don't grapple and
share anyway).

> challenging each other in the search for
> truth and honour is one
> thing, but sitting around arguing about whether
> carman is a valid witness
> for christ is semantics, in my opinion.

it's true...and we already did discuss him somewhat :)
 i think where truth and honor can come into play is
when we look at the frames we use to perceive carman
etc.

> intellectual discussion and debate is healthy and
> productive, i agree...but
> when we run over the same things again and again
> around here, it *is* bull.

i agree only if the newer people don't want to hash it
out, and then, i'm in favor of taking it off-list.

> and while i don't think those of us who post
> continual theories and
> footnotes are necessarily "hiding"...i do think it
> alienates some of us who
> aren't so theologically/bibliographically inclined.
> that was the real meat
> of my post.

and when i am confronted with a discussion that brings
that to light in my own life, i make a decision.
either i do read up etc. or i just decide not to enter
it for the time.  it's probably not fair (aka could
slack in the integrity dept.) to the seriousness of
certain issues to skip the preparation.  maybe that
alienates me, but it's okay unless i want to do
something about it.  if you were talking about the
intricacies of a piece of music in terms unfamiliar to
me, i'd probably bow out.  if it meant something to
me, i'd begin learning and probably ask you to suggest
where to start.

> and fine...i'll put down the guitar and go read
> philosophers. that should
> feed my dream real well.

:)  actually, it just might!, of course, the guitar
will too...i don't think they're mutually exclusive
things.

j. marie