Re: A.I. (obviously no OTR)

Ok,

   I was going to let this go, but this discussion seems to have expanded a
great deal from the point when I said that I was going to let it go.

I recently saw AI with a whole mess of camp kids that I've been tramping
around with all summer.  First of all, I was amazed that they sat all the way
through it, as it is not real the fare that 10-15yo boys enjoy.  That aside,
I thought the film has a lot of potential but realizes almost none of it.
The whole beginning 30-40 minute was very intriguing, except for William
Hurt's exposition laden monologue.  I loved the fear and joy that was mixed
in the reactions of David's new "parents."  I loved how David struggle to fit
in.  Then when their real son came back, I couldn't wait to see what would
happen next.  Then the movie began to see-saw its way down hill.  The scene
where David is left in the woods chilled me to the bone, and effectively tore
the audience, even my boys noticed it, between their knowledge that David is
a "thing" and his ability to love and his desire to be loved.  Then Jude
Law's character seemed to have something to add to the whole thing, but I'm
very uncertain as to whether Spielberg really knew what to do with him.  I
feel that Kubrick knew exactly what he wanted, but I don't think this was it.
 Nor did I like the Chris Rock/Robin Williams cameos.  It just seemed out of
place and distracting.  Rather than really think about the meaning of the
flesh fair, my kids were stuck on how hilarious it was that Chris Rock blew
up.  prior to this, they kept looking up at the screen in increasing fright
as the robots were destroyed.  Then after his escape and discovery of a
further mission to the doctor who can make him real Spielberg has multiple
opportunities to end the film with a true punch causing the audience to sit
back and really think.  Opportunity one, David destroys himself, is ushered
into the office and is faced with the realization that he is just one of soon
to be millions.  End film on shot of him looking down line upon line of
David's.  Opportunity two, David's suicide.  Another depressing option David
jumps off of building and sinks to the bottom.  It provides a great parallel
with the David at the bottom of the pool after "trying to kill" the real son.
 Opportunity Three, and the best choice in my opinion, is ending after he is
trapped under water.  It leaves the audience with the knowledge that David is
indeed alone, but there is some solace in the fact that he has found his
fairy.  Ending here would wliminate the need for the voice over which I feel
really jerks the audience out of the pseudo-reality that the entire film has
built up and leaves us in a fairy tale.  It would also eliminate the
confusing and needless ending half-hour.  I believe they are aliens as that
is how Spielberg referred to them in an interview in Premier or Entertainment
Weekly, I don't remember which.  The main problem with the ending is the
total inconsistancy of charact in David.  Throughout the entire first part,
David is lost and confused with only two playthings as guides.  Then suddenly
in this last section, he has somehow gained the maturity to see the value of
even this one day spent with his mother.  BTW I think the whole Teddy picking
up hair blah blah blah was so predictible.  The minute I saw the shot with
Teddy picking up the hair, I said that it would be important later.  This was
supported by the kids in the row behind me that said, "The hair that Teddy
has."  As soon as the alien was giving the speech about if they only had a
piece of DNA yadda yadda.  I mean, if a ten year-old can see it coming, then
I'm not sure if spielberg can really surprise us anymore.  All in all, I
thought that it touched on some good issues, but they were never fleshed out
in addition to emerging from the confused jumble of Spielbrick.

I'm sure that I'll get a ton of e-mails telling me about how mean I am, etc,
but I'm just calling 'em like I see 'em.

Steve Swanson

P.S.  I really loved the use of light in the beginning half of the film as a
separating force.  Specifically the shot when they are eating dinner, and we
see the parents on the right and left and David is only in the middle of
that ring shaped light.  Later at some point, Spielberg changes the meaning
of light to a positive/illuminating force.