RE: A.I.

> > Who we are is not as good as what we make. The movie dares to imagine
> > that humans are a passing phase -- a brief virus caught by Earth.
>
> thanx for the enlightenment. isn't there a line from "the matrix", about
> humans being a 'virus' as well?

Yeah, but the idea's a bit different there, not least because the machines
we make are portrayed as *villains*, and not as improvements on us.
(Then again, we *still* don't know what The Oracle is.)

But the key idea here is not the virus, so much as it is the idea that
humanity is a passing phase.  It's an idea Kubrick had already explored in
_2001: A Space Odyssey_, where humans exist somewhere after the apes and
somewhere before, um, machines or star-children or aliens or ...