Re: HIStories and HYSTeria

--- "J. Marie Hall" <fionaeval at yahoo_com> wrote:
> > And of course, "hysteria" comes from the Greek
> word
> > for uterus, "hystera"
>
> exactly...
>
> > (also the root for "hysterectomy"), so the
> presence
> > of a syllable that
> > sounds just like a male pronoun is, once again,
> > proof of nothing.  :)
>
> "hyster" slightly altered to poke fun in rhyme...a
> very femenine (don't you just _love_ that uterus?)
> association to juxtapose with our currently
> well-defined "HIStory" :)
>
> -j. marie

"history," in my am. heritage, lists the middle
english "histoire," from old french, from latin
"historia," from greek, from "historein," to inquire,
from "histor," learned man.  the proto indo-european
root noted is "weid-," which they define as "to see."
there are 3 subsets listed for the root, the first two
are derivative caterpillars from middle english, and
the third is suffixed o-grade from sanskrit, "vedah"
meaning "knowledge."

i just think that the candy i eat should be free of
all this gender/historicity bias: instead of a hershey
bar, i feel we all should eat himhe bars  :)

- e