Re: revisionism

In a message dated 6/21/01 6:34:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
petert at interchange_ubc.ca writes:

> HIStory is all about perspective.  It's not called "her" story, now is
> it?

Oh, puh-leeze.

Can we *please* put *that* tired old cliche to rest.  For one thing, it's
completely misleading.  The word "history" comes from the Latin
"historia", meaning "inquiry", whereas the pronoun "his" comes from the
Old High German "hE" (going by the online Merriam-Webster dictionary).
The French word "histoire" reflects the same root as our "history", but
their pronoun -- "son", I think? -- sounds nothing like it, because the
pronoun is derived from an entirely different root, just as ours is.

LOL... Calm *down*  You're smart; we're all aware.  Just a little joke...

Next thing you know, you'll be saying Washington, DC city hall official
David Howard deserved to lose his job, and to be accused of racism,
because he used the word "niggardly", which has no racial connotations.

No, I wasn't intending to bring that up, but thanks for showing us again how
smart you are!

Jan