generalizations about home schooling

schooling issues.

> >anyway...most evangelical christian parents
> home-school their kids to
> >shelter them from the world and teach from a
> "god-fearing" point of view...

i think laura's right that most evangelicals don't
homeschool.  some i know do b/c of the pervasive bias
on the other end of things (aka god-mocking), but many
are way more concerned with the quality of education.

i, for one, understand their concern.  i teach spanish
in a public school.  our public system deteriorates
and drops standards progressively so i'm not so sure i
want my kids there either.  i personally have to
compromise a lot of my curriculum to slow things down
b/c the kids are further behind each year.  it's sad.

we also gotta think about safety and proper learning
environments.  if ya only knew how many of my students
carry weapons and are involved in gang activity.
makes me wonder why they even bother to show up to my
class when they have such intense things to think
about.

public schools are way more social than academic.  and
my students have more to deal with in their realms of
sex and drugs than learning to order in a mexican
restaurante.  that's a testy environment that doesn't
faciliate learning easily (teachers have to become
creative geniuses!).  many parents are concerned about
that aspect too.

man, i'm talkative today!

-j. marie