Re: Luxury (no OtR)

I said:
> > The fact that Marilyn Manson can be quoted in a
> > recent Rolling Stone about
> > how a certain church group that doesn't want him
> > anywhere near Columbine is
> > being "disrespectful" and be taken seriously, in
> > light of the things he has
> > said and done in the name of "harmless
> > entertainment" to profane what many
> > in that church group and beyond hold dear and
> > sacred, is just the most
> > recent bit of evidence to pass under my world-weary
> > eyes.  Talk about
> > one-sided.

And you asked:

(hmmm, a subaltern/hegemony/pop culture question...)

>who exactly has marilyn manson been vilifying?  to
>what "other social/racial groups" are you suggesting
>as self-righteous enough pander to m.m.'s "art"?

Okay, the kids that did the shooting at Columbine were big MM fans, iirc.
He's alread publicly apologized for any culpability he may have had.
(Personally, I think that was a nice gesture.)  The reason the church group
is protesting him is that he wants to stage a show in the area.  They want
him to stay away.  He wants to put it all behind him, and they can't.  It is
really that simple, and has nothing to do with being "self-righteous".
Please don't assume that all churches are "self righteous".

By your criteria, Hollywood is self-righteous.  A pivotal  episode of "Buffy
the Vampire Slayer" was delayed after the shooting because it depicted
fantasy violence on a high school campus.  The film"O", also depicting HS
violence, has been delayed twice due to shootings, causing the producers to
sue the studio.  Ostensibly, the motivation behind these delays is the
desire to maintain good PR by not provoking the victims of these tragedies.
It struck me as "over the top" when I had to wait an extra two months for
the Buffy episode, but, in retrospect, it was the responsible thing for the
studio to do.  It was done regardless of any potential loss of profit.  MM
should do the responsible thing too, rather than try to make more money,
don't you think?  (Admittedly, attacking him is akin to attacking the
symptom rather than the disease, but still...)

Anyway, my real point was that Rolling Stone presented the story in a biased
manner, favoring Manson.  His accusation that the church's reaction to him
is "disrespectful" is ludicrous in light of the mockery he has attempted to
make of Christianity, yet that comment was presented unchallenged.  This is
not a free-speech issue.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Come to think of it, Hollywood IS self-righteous.  Hmmm...