Re: Re: Re: Luxury (no OtR)

--- Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:

> In a lot of ways, being a minority means you're
> marginalised, prejudged,
> and treated as an anomaly. It can be a struggle, and
> a bitter one.

I think I understand you.  But there are a couple of
thoughts in my mind:

Thought #1: Nothing makes me more aware of the
ugliness of prejudice than when I think of the
particular minority of which I think you're speaking.
It is a beautiful, rich people that have been
persecuted more than any group in the history of the
world.  If left unchecked, prejudice becomes mass
murder.

Thought #2: I wonder how all this differs between
groups that are "minorities" because of
nationality/skin color and "minorities" that are such
because of choice (Libertarians) or those that are
considered "minorities" because of something that went
wrong (disabled).  that's kind of vague...

Thought #3: I don't think we can deny the fact that
there are groups that are marginalized and
discriminated against that are actually majority
groups.  White males get it too.  Obviously not nearly
as much or as extreme as other groups, though.

As for Christians - and I actually agree with Matt
that Christians in the sense in which he is speaking
are a minority in our society, but probably not so
much on this list.  HOWEVER, I chose to be a
Christian. It's not something I was born with, nor was
it forced upon me.  I choose it every day knowing that
doing so means the world might hate me.  I pretty much
have not right to bellyache about it.  I don't believe
any kind of prejudice or persecution is right, and I
can work to rid society of as much of it as I can, but
my black friends didn't get to weigh their options
before deciding what color they wanted to be.  And
until 6,000,000 of us are slaughtered in the course of
a few years out of pure ignorance, we probably won't
totally understand why our Jewish friends get a little
upset when we complain about being a poorly treated
minority.

the pomposity ends...

kelvin

=====
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy that sustained him during temporary periods of joy."
                               -- W.B. Yeats