Re: Comics Lit

Matthew revealed his comic mind with:
<<
 The only alternative, small press comics I currently read are: "Berlin" by
 Jason Lutes, "Optic Nerve" by Adrian Tomine, "The Atomics" by Mike and Laura
 Allred, "Stay Bullets" and "Murder Me Dead" by Dave Lapham, >>

Allred is always fun.  Sad that The Atomics after 12 pretty much on time
ish's seems to be on hold. I thought he said he wasn't gonna do like he did
with Madman :-(
Actually just read and Allred interview where he said he was hoping maybe
Atomics would be the title he finally takes up to the 100 ish range...I've
heard good things about Optic Nerve but so far haven't read it.  Same for
Berlin.  Stray Bullets is the best mystery noir comic next to Sin City IMO.

A few of my past and current faves in the indy vein:

Bone: Tolkien meets Disney meets Bloom County meets...
anything Neil Gaiman puts his mind to - Sandman esp.
Zot
Beanworld
Paul Pope stuff - THB/Heavy Liquid/Buzz Buzz
Flaming Carrot (Where the movie Mysterymen got its start)
The Tick (first 12 ish's penned by Burden are hilarious!
Akiru - hint: great intro to comics for kids)
Strangehaven
Castle Waiting
Quicken Forbidden
Silent Invasion - wonderfully unique look and story - 80's book
Starman (kinda laggin this year) Ok, not an indy but it feels like one.
Mr. Bean
Atomic City Tales (if you like Allred you'll like this)
Mythography (great collection series that ended around ish 6 - too bad)
Concrete
Maus
Sin City books
Roachmill
Aztec Ace (pretty good but not great time travel stuff)
Love and Rockets
Dark Horse Presents:

I also seem to be drawn to ones that die before they can even tie things up:
Strange Attractors (died)
Wandering Star (died)
Hilly Rose (died)

kevin - that's mr. geek to you