Re: the fool in breaking the waves

> I often wonder if people overlook the Bess-as-Christ thing largley
> because we're not used to seeing Christ represented as female ...

FWIW, Lloyd Baugh, in _Imaging the Divine: Jesus and Christ-Figures in
Film_, devotes a chapter to "The Woman as Christ-Figure" (pages 130-156),
focusing specifically on _La Strada_, _Nights of Cabiria_, _Babette's
Feast_, _Out of Rosenheim (Bagdad Cafe)_ and _Dead Man Walking_.

Definitely worth reading.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556128630/petertchatta