Re: the fool in breaking the waves

> i think there is something to the christ figure/bess thing. the ideas
> of the fool/ the offense/scandalon are all present and accounted for-i
> think- i watched most of the film thru tears.  and i swore i would

The key thing to me is how her relationship with Jan plays out ...
as the film progresses after Jan's injury, Bess literally takes on his
'sin' and acts it out on his behalf.  It's not until Bess takes on Jan's
sin to the final extreme and is killed because of it that Jan is
healed and if that's not intended as a Christ allegory I don't know
what is ...

> and bess is a beautiful character in all her simple complexities.  i
> haven't seen the other 2 films yet.

Apparently Von Trier went through some sort of conversion
experience just prior to Breaking the Waves which would account
for the religious overtones ... the other two characters have some
major similarities but are also very different from Bess ... they're
definitely worth watching ...

I often wonder if people overlook the Bess-as-Christ thing largley
because we're not used to seeing Christ represented as female ...

Todd.

The Denver Gentlemen | The Autumns | Matt Hopper | 3" Series

Absalom Recordings is on the web at www.absalomrecordings.com