Re: Dr. Seuss

> Ever since I was little, my favorite has always been "The Lorax". It's
> the only Dr. Seuss book that's sad, and I therefore blame it for my
> lifelong obsession with melancholy stories.  :)

Hmmmm ... I've always kind of had a thing for melancholy too, but I don't
know what I would trace it to.

The first thing that comes to mind is an old _Electric Company_ vignette
in which a woman sings, "It always rains where I go..."  She's standing
outside a cafe or restaurant, and then her date (I *think* it was Morgan
Freeman) shows up, and they go inside.  As they're sitting down, he asks
for a menu, and then they hear a thunderclap, and the woman reaches for
her umbrella, and as it begins to rain, just over the woman's seat and
nowhere else, her date asks if one of the menus could be waterproof.

Plus, when I used to play in the bathtub, I tended to sing 'Row, Row, Row
Your Boat' with the slightly altered lyrics, "Merrily, merrily, merrily,
merrily, life goes down the drain."  I mean, that was where I saw the
water going, right?  :)  My parents had to correct me and tell me that
life "is but a dream" -- but in light of what _The Matrix_ has shown us,
I'm not sure that that's a more optimistic outlook.  :)