Re: moulin rouge

> Why do supposedly hip reviewers feel it necessary to say, "Well, it's
> just so _obvious_ that x is going to happen, so I'm not ruining anything
> by telling you." Yeah, it may be obvious that something's foreshadowed,
> but some films depend on tricking you with a subtle hint, then betraying
> it and surprising you.

As a film reviewer, I feel that i must defend my brethern to some extent
here.  One must look at the director when you say that something is
predictable.  For example, in this case with good old Baz Luhrman at the
helm, it is not too hard to see how the film might come out.  In my
opinion, it is almost always in bad taste to bring modern songs into
period pieces.  Was he to leave the time period ambiguous as he does in
Romeo & Juliet, then such things can be understood.  In this case, added
to the fact that neither Ewan nor Nicole actually sing, the whole thing
comes off as a very elaborate Disney on Ice show, and I urge anyone who is
looking for more than pure circus glamour, which Luhrman has in Spades, to
av oid this film at all costs.
	 Save you $9.75 or whatever and wait for something worthwhile.  Or
go hunt down one of the more subtle or accomplished pieces that is out
now.  I heartily recommend that "Mememento" is a good film.  Granted it
relies sole on one gimmick, but it is a good gimmick and excellently
executed.  Also, I enjoyed "Shrek" to some extent for pure sh*** and
giggles and "Bridget Jones" for that naughty Jane Austen/ Masterpiece
Theater lover in me.
	There is also a film cand "Under the Sands" which I've heard very
good thing about.  If anyone has seen it and can tell me a little bit
about their experience, I would appreciate it.

Just my two bits worth of rambling about my subject of choice.

Steve Swanson