Re: karin, poles, trilogies, and machines

I appreciated the link to Thomas Cahill's theory on the John
passage, though I'll have to read it more thoroughly at another time.

> So Jesus isn't exactly saying that specks and planks should
> stay where they are.  You *can* remove the speck from your
> brother's eye.  Just make absolutely sure that you haven't got
> any planks in your own, first.

Are we capable in this life of ever removing the plank from our
eye? The process of redemption and reconciliation is based
entirely off of grace.  If we hold to this truth as we should, and
realize that at no point until Christ's return will we become holy
and righteous, then there should be no point for judgement.
Judgement being a condescending holier than thou attitude,
versus correcting a brother out of love for him and a desire that
he would conform more to the image of Christ.  (Matthew 18:15
alludes to this)  Notice also that within this form there is no attention

given for correcting out of love someone who is not a brother
because they do not know Christ and therefore do not desire to
have anything to do with His image.  This also fits with Paul's
statements  in 1 Corinthians 4 about not judging, but leaving that
to the Lord for the proper time.

> So in some contexts, judging is good, but in others, it is bad, I
guess.

Actually, what you need to do is take these passages in context.
The I Corinthians 5:12-13 in context (w/5:9-11) is talking not so
much about judging as it is about casting out the immoral person
within the church who is there, but has no desire to strive toward
the image of Christ.  (hence a "so-called brother")  So rather than
immersing ourselves in their sinful attitudes, Paul says that we
should remove them from the vicinity of the flock and prevent them
from putting temptation before our true brothers.  For if they were
a true brother they would be seen bearing fruit.  (John 15, though
verses 2&6 apply here very well).

In the end, judging needs to be left to God, but correcting a brother
gently because we desire what's best for him is the believers job,
we are called to do this by Jesus Himself.

Thanks for listening.  May God bless my frail
words and speak to your heart through them.

In His Grace,
Tom