An OTR virgin's perspective (of them live, 05-18-01)

So...

There I was, wandering South Street in Philadelphia, worried that I wouldn't
be able to find the Theatre of Living Arts, clad in expotition shorts and a
long sleeved tee, three cameras at the ready.  Thankfully, it's not a tiny
place, tucked in between an alley and a sub shop, so finding it was a snap.
Mr "peace & veggies" was the first listee that I saw, upon wandering in and
hearing the beginnings of sound checks.  I was, to say with brevity,
mystified.  I wondered at first if I had missed the opening act, but the
appearance of worker "B's" hauling in chairs sorta clued me into the fact
that I was there in time.  In time for a wait, that is.  So, I pulled out my
little journal, and started to write some random thoughts that I might be
able to pull together into something resembling poetry.  I was also
fascinated by the trees that had speckles of gum dotting their bark.  Modern
art in the midst of the city of brotherly love.

Seating was fine.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank whoever
had tickets for seat A-9.  I greatly appreciate that you couldn't make it,
saddened though that I am that you missed such a great show.  Your seat was
not lonely tho', my butt was parked there for the night.  The venue was
interesting, all we needed were bi-colored 3-D glasses and I would have felt
like I was in a 50's movie theatre.  Which is what I am sure that the TLA
once was.

Opening act, Willard Grant Conspiracy, was interesting.  I admit that the
lead singer has a good voice, but the sparsity of the guitar and just him
didn't work for me.  I kept flashing to a cheesy MTV Unplugged special, and
that detracted from my enjoyment.  The set was short, maybe six or seven
songs, with humorous little anecdotes sprinkled in that were amusing enough
to almost make me forget to be impatient for the people that I was really
there to see.  Almost.  Still, I will now scour the used CD store to see if
I can find a WGC disc to listen to.  Any suggestions?

Finally, it was time.  The band came out, and with no jazzy speech intro,
immediately took us into the first song.  I was hooked.  If this is a drug,
hook me up to an IV and let me sit in my chair and enjoy it.  The lineup
was:

Bass: Wade James
Drums: Dale Baker
Porno Guitar: Jack Henderson
Keyboards: Linford
and of course, Karin providing the transcendant vocalisations.

Aside from the fella that I thot would be standing up in front of me
forever, (it was actually only the first minute or so), it was...sublime.
The set list, for the umpteenth time, was

The World can Wait
If Nothing Else
Faithfully Dangerous
Anything at All
I Radio Heaven
Little Blue River
Moth
Birds
Sleep Baby Jane (that aggressive ballad)
Latter Daze
All I Need is E.
Fever
Goodbye

Encore:  Strength

Somewhere along the line, I was trying to make notes about each song, and
what I thought, but...as this was my first live performance, you'll have to
forgive me for only noting the following:

Karin was wearing a pendant that I kept trying to see, it looked from the
floor to have some symbol etched into it, and of course, when she was out in
the lobby afterwards, I forgot to look at it.  The sparkly brown dress was
fun, and it kept catching the light and causing little coronas.  The fact
that I was wearing glasses has nothing to do with that of course.

Wooty Woot.  That's not my story, so I would be a poor listee if I told it.
Suffice it to say that there was no milk shooting from nostrils or people
under the stage.  Almost, but not quite.

Porno Guitar.  I had wondered what the heck could be pornographic about
guitar playing.  Suffice it to say, I have been schooled and am in awe of
his ability to coax sounds out of that piece of steel and plastic. wowzers
batman.

And the graciousness of Karin and Linford in coming out after the show,
despite the best efforts of the TLA staff to clear the lobby, and signing
memorabilia, and posing for a few random pictures.  Again, wowzers batman,
and Ysobelle, the pictures are at Walmart bein' developed as I write this.
They should be done tomorrow, and I will scan those that turn out, and send
em to you.

Perhaps I should have made more notes, but I couldn't.  My pen hand wouldn't
write anything else.  I have brief mental snapshots, but those are rather
curious, the things that I remember.  I only have one lingering question.
What happened to the flowers after the show?

-still in a semi daze, listening to FfR and wondering why it don't sound the
same...
-Jason

p.s.  My boss tells me that the pen is a Cross Ion pen.  Apparently it's
what happens when pen designers have too much caffeine.  Who knew there was
such a thing as a pen designer?