Re: duzzinny?

grammar...hmm.

heh heh heh...

> Should't it be "There does not happen to be ANY."
>
> Confusion created with plural "design firms," but I
> think s/v agreement
> is between "does" and "any," both singular.  So,
> right the first time.
> But, really, this is one of those ambiguous
> situations in the sense that
> no one is likely to notice it except composition
> teachers, and not even
> all of them.
>
> Or I could be wrong.
>
> Marie?

well....any is an adjective here.  so "firms" is
really your subject.  you wouldn't say "there isn't
any firms."  you'd say, "there aren't any firms."  if
"any" stood alone, we could make it singular or
plural...since it can modify grammatically singular
(e.g. "glue?--there isn't any") entities or plural
ones (e.g. "geraniums?--"there aren't any").

but even so...about whether or not we should care,
that depends on the environment.  if it's written (or
if it's spoken in a formal/professional/academic
environment), we is gettin' anal about it.

now if we're just chewing the phat, well, that's
another story.  i won't get into why...if you wanna
know, lemme know.  see, this sociolinguistics thang is
something i love well.  so i'll share it with you
personally if you want.  otherwise, i'll only allow it
to bubble out here in spurts so as not to overcome the
list with the sheer genius of it all.  it's too much,
ya know.  just makes ya wanna cry it's so good.

> That is all.

is that possible?

-j. marie