Re: slutt

j-cochran at juno_com writes:

<< Sometimes kids, the most obvious answer is the correct one.  "Slut" most
 likely means slut in the normal everyday meaning of the word.  Why must
 we look for some homogenized-christian meaning for everything?

Let's see, perhaps because the tunester who wrote it has been known to drop a
line or two in his songs that have more than a passing ref to things
spiritual.  Not to say I think you're wrong, I haven't honestly tried to
figure it out yet, I'm just saying that's why one might look that way to find
its meaning.  One more thing -- spirituality isn't necessarily *homogenized*,
it's wild, it's passionate, it's relentless, it's blood and guts real, but
it's hardly homogenized.  It's only homogenized in the hands of those who'd
disney-fy it.  Those Precious Moments kinda people who see life through
G-rated child lenses.  If PM were more real we'd have one's like John the
Baptist's head on a platter, a warrior's circumcision, Christ on a Cross,
Ananais and Saphira - before and after, Joan on the stake, Huss on the stake,
Hey, we could start a whole new line! -- *Idea care of an old Door mag satire.

  Perhaps
 sometimes the two consenting, married adults who wrote this song feel
 sexual... is it such a stretch to think that they woould right a song
 about that?

 Not at all.  But somehow I don't think that's what he had in mind by that
line here.  As I said I haven't given it time yet myself but I'm sure he was
aware that the image conjured by the word slut was a person who is very loose
with her pleasures, not a person who was feeling sexual towards her husband.
Two other definitions of slut would be someone who is negligent of their
appearance or a girl who is shamelessly bold and saucy. (thanks Websters)

The thing thta atracted me to OtR in the first place, and continues to
 attract me is their exquisitely sexual tones, the dark sensuosness of the
 music.

 Yea, I can see that in some of their music but I haven't really looked at
their catalog in that light myself.  I'll have to keep that in mind during
future spins. Thanks.  I was originally attracted by the contemplative,
spiritual side of their music that didn't appear to compartmentalize
religious experience into some *upper story* place but painted everything
with the same mysterious brush.

kevin

"How monotonous the sounds of the forest would be if the music came
from only the top ten birds"  --sign in produce Mark Phillips office