Labels: was Re: If You See Kay

In a message dated 5/3/01 10:58:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
cirhsein at yahoo_com writes:

<< Labels are simply a means of identifying things - there's nothing
inherently
 wrong with them. The only time they become wrong is when they are used in a
 negative or derogatory manner.

  What I think is the biggest inherent prob with *relying* on labels too
much, mainly when applied to people or their art,  is that they reduce people
down to something which can be quantified, itemized, analyzed, etc., like
some science experiment.  Labels victimize people.  People, in the words of
Terry Taylor, are "too complex to be tamed, too great to be grasped"
Like a meme in advertising they get in our head and buzz buzz buzzz drowning
out everything else.  Sure, we can call a Ford a Ford and somewhat accurately
describe one but us strange animals are more than the sum or our parts.

kevin

"I am whats I am and that's what I am."
Popeye the Sailorman