Re: U2

--- Scott Ulrich <ulrichsd at hotmail_com> wrote:

> By the way do people feel that it is OK for bands to
> push issues with their
> music?  Has any of these caused people not to listen
> to a certain band?  For
> example, like when E. Vedder drew "Pro-choice" on
> his arm with a marker?

I don't mind if they speak their mind on an issue.
Anyone should feel free to do that.  What I mind is
when they act as if, becaues of the fact that they're
famous with a national or worldwide platform, that
somehow makes them more qualified to speak to an
issue.  This has hacked me off countless times.  (Not
to say that there aren't some who actually are very
knowledgeable.  Most are just doofusses.)
I also hate when they claim to speak for me when, fact
is, most of them don't live in the real world and
haven't for a while and therefore haven't got a clue.
Case in point: Barbara Streisand, who I utterly
despise, will never have to worry how much it costs to
fill up the gas tank in her limo.  She can afford to
worry about a couple of polar bears in Alaska because
she's not here in the real world trying to figure out
how she's gonna keep gas in her Hyundai at $2.00 a
gallon.  That's the kind of thing that hacks me off.

Just a thought...

Kelvin

=====
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy that sustained him during temporary periods of joy."
                               -- W.B. Yeats