Re: Xian music

Here are my Saturday morning ramblings . . .

This whole issue of art and Christianity is very near and dear to me.  I am
a writer, and I feel that writing is my calling from God.  But does that
mean that everything I write has to express my own relationship with Him?
It seems like most of you would say no, and I tend to agree, but I do often
run into Christians who dislike what I write because it discusses subjects
that are taboo to the church:  rape, incest, how hard it is to be sexually
pure, domestic violence, feminism, etc.  I also use curse words every once
and awhile.  But does that make what I write any less Christian?

It's frustrating, because I'm in a graduate fiction writing program down
here in Houston, and before that I was in the playwriting program at U.C.
(which is where I came in contact with OTR, by the way).  In my classes, it
is taboo that I even bring up God at all, and when I do, that is a huge
rebelliion against the academic "workshop" process.  I recently had a Jewish
woman get really angry at a story I wrote because she said it was ridiculous
for Christians in this country to think that they had any enemies.  Never
mind the fact that what I was referring to was how Christians and most
people of faith have been treated by communist regimes in places like China,
and, until recently, the Soviet Union.

So I often feel I'm in a no man's (or woman's) land, somewhere between the
conservative Christians and the academics, and I can't help but wonder where
my audience is.  Ultimately, I feel like I have to write what is true to me,
though, and that is why Over the Rhine has inspired me so much.  I
appreciate their willingness to go for the deep stuff--to ask the tough
questions and to, above all, write what seems the most true to them at that
moment.

And as I write this, Karin is belting out "Give Me Strength" from the CD
player on my computer.  Perhaps I should turn it up and dance.

--Kathryn