Re: F***

> Perhaps this is picking a nit, but I feel I should point out that I
> don't disagree.  However, the negative connotation -- for whatever
> reason, and whether or not it is valid -- *does* exist.  And I think
> because it does, that's why artists like OTR cringe when they get
> categorized as such.

Oh, definitely.  Just as Sixpence None the Richer were upset to find that
they were relegated to the "gospel" category at the Grammys, when 'Kiss
Me' was their big hit single.  (Meanwhile, IIRC, the song wasn't even
*considered* for a nomination by the Doves -- wasn't Christian enough.)

> This reminds me of the recent occurance with the band _Lifehouse_.
> Apparently word got out that two of the band members proclaimed to be
> Christian.  Some source I read said that their manager was currently
> doing "damage control" to avoid having the band labeled as a "Christian"
> band.

Yeah, same with, say, Hanson.  The kids used to make videos with Carman,
then they became pop stars in their own right on the secular scene, and
now, when reporters bring up the question of religion, they refuse to talk
about it.  Which is a shame, because a lot of artists, going back to
George Harrison and his Hinduism, if not before, have allowed their
stardom to be an opportunity to talk about their beliefs, without being
perceived as threatening by the listening audience at large.

> I found that quite a sad commentary.

I agree.