Re: OT: Christian Music, Religion, The Meaning of Life, and Courage

--- Brad Caviness <bigwigenterprises at yahoo_com> wrote:

> Flannery O'Conner wrote that it is harder to believe
> than
> not to.

I thought that was Steve Taylor.

> Jesus hung out with prostitutes and drunks before he
> was
> crucified. I think if he were incarnate today, he'd
> be
> hanging out in gay bars and other places most
> religious folk
> wouldn't dare be seen.

You may be right, but don't miss his motivations for
doing so.  He wouldn't hang out there just for the
sake of hanging out there.  And he certainly wouldn't
do it just to shake up the establishment or rock
fundamentalism.  He wasn't about that.  He just did
whatever he had to, without compromising his nature,
to reach folks.  We also can't forget that, once
called out, they were called up to a very high
standard of holiness.

That being said, I don't disagree with you at all.

Kelvin

=====
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy that sustained him during temporary periods of joy."
                               -- W.B. Yeats