Re: Onion Review

> http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3715/music3715.html#review3
>
> Though the "radio" part of the title of Over The Rhine's new album might
> be wishful thinking, the other half of the Films For Radio equation
> couldn't be more apt.

Speaking of radio play... my favorite local radio station just became my "oh,
there are other settings on this dial?" radio station.  Visit WNCS ("The
Point") at http://www.wncs.com to find out why...or keep reading since I'll
tell you anyway.  Not only is "Give me Strength" in their current rotation, but
next week their "Feature CD" will be none other than our very own FFR.  Rough
English translation: Thousands of Vermonters are about to be introduced to our
own little band from Cincinnati.  WNCS has a history of supporting and
promoting other wonderful, little-played bands (Wild Colonials come immediately
to mind, but there are many others) often regardless of their industry clout
(or lack thereof).

It would be truly lovely if OtR could make it up to Burlington, VT over the
course of this tour.  They're getting some great press, but unfortunately right
now their nearest stop is 3-and-a-half hours from here.  There are a couple of
great venues up here (the Flynn theater and Higher Ground come immediately to
mind)...

All I want for Christmas is a little gift called Over the Rhine.

Back to lurkdom,
Raven

In more than a decade of existence, the Cincinnati
> band has relied more on word of mouth than radio support, building a
> dedicated following with albums that always seemed to land in the wrong
> place at the wrong time. The group shed members as it evolved musically in
> ways its early folk-pop releases never suggested. Now pared down to the
> husband-and-wife creative team of Karin Bergquist and Linford Detweiler,
> Over The Rhine makes music that sounds custom-made for the montage
> sequences of some sweepingly romantic movie that offers no assurance of a
> happy ending. Similar in spirit, and occasionally in sound, to the work of
> Aimee Mann, Films For Radio offers unapologetically mature pop music that
> houses emotions more complex than the first rush of new love or the first
> crush of fresh heartbreak. However much they fill out their sound with
> drum loops and keyboards, Detweiler and Bergquist maintain an easy sense
> of intimacy that safely grounds their new expansiveness in the realm of
> human emotion. With its breathless, yearning vocals and sleepy drum loop,
> the album-opening "The World Can Wait" may sound a bit like an
> alternate-universe James Bond theme, but it works on that level. Much of
> the album stays in the same vein, balancing studio fussiness with
> sophisticated songwriting that keeps one ear cocked toward the little
> touches that make the biggest difference. This willingness to experiment
> while maintaining an appealing directness has kept Over The Rhine
> interesting, and with Films For Radio the duo has created a set of songs
> to savor, via radio or otherwise. --Keith Phipps
>
> O ^ ^   Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew       )
> O(_|_)         Looking for the cheese shop since the year 2000             X
> O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) & goats.com (drew at goats_com)  |

Amy N. Macrellis
Department of Geological Sciences
206 Natural Sciences
Michigan State University