Re: Minneapolis & Louisville

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> --- Bob the dancing monkey <djohnson at snowplow_org>
> wrote:
> I was away in Wisconsin for the show
> > (although I saw  them and
> > Ramsie Shick in Iowa City with Sherry the day
> > before).
>
> I'm jealous!  Over the Rhine AND Ramsie Schick!  How
> cool!
> I got great news yesterday.  The Louisville show on
> May 12 is only $5 if you're 18 or over and FREE if
> you're over 21!  I guess they are counting on me
> ordering some drinks, and I probably won't.

Oh, please do.  Even if it's only a coke.  I can't tell you how many bands
I've heard of have to deal with irate bar owners where the fans wouldn't
buy anything except a ticket to see the show.

Now, on the other hand, the OtR/Shick show was fabulous.  I had first seen
Ramsie during her gig at the Gallery stage at C-Stone (when Sherry and I
got to the stage six hours early to get front row seats for the OtR
show.  Strange how so many others did as well.), and she really did a fine
job.  For those of you who haven't had the privilege, Ramsie's is a
pretty surprising artist that plays in a style that is compeletely wrapped
around her guitar and her voice.

It's...odd to see her play.  Those of you who have seen Bill Mallonee
whack himself while playing will get something of the idea.  She pulls
herself so bloody _tight_ up there, then releases it all in a crazed
gesticulation of song or praise or guitar.  Her set was mostly from the
more recent album, "Sinner's Serenade" and I wish she had been able to
start at an earlier time so that she could have gotten more songs in.

She's working on a new album for Steve Taylor's WB label, Squint
Entertainment.  I am indeed looking forward to it.

I will leave the OtR review from Iowa City to Sherry, if she wants to
write somethin'...

-Drew

O ^ ^   Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew       )
O(_|_)         Looking for the cheese shop since the year 2000             X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) & goats.com (drew at goats_com)  |