If I may...

--- jorge moreno <jlmoreno70 at yahoo_com> wrote:

> Hello, My name is Jorge.

Hi Jorge.  I'm Kelvin.  I drive a Hyundai.

> Tonight I am in a state of confusion.  I am
> searching for a TRUTH, one that has eluded me the
> past thirty years.

My first suggestion would be to not look for "TRUTH"
in OtR's music.  They are no more the keeper of what
is "TRUTH" than is Point of Grace or the Backstreet
Boys.  Music is art.  Music is entertainment.  Music
is entertaining art and artful entertainment.  It is
true that some music contains truth but it is not the
source of that truth.  If OtR says something true,
that statement should point you to the source of the
truth.
There are many who say that churches should
exclusively use hymns in worship because of the
theology they contain.  My point is that I don't go to
hymns for theology, I go to the Bible for that.  Hymns
are used for worship.

> I am so tired and fed up with "Christian" artists.
> I don't know how to deal with the feeling that there
> is more of a market to "sell" the Gospel, and not
> neccesarily to be artists.

There is a HUGE difference between the pressure to
sell records and a pressure to "sell" the Gospel.  A
good friend once helped me to understand that, while
it may be okay to question what someone does, we need
to be very careful when we start questioning their
motives.
My last trip to GMA in Nashville taught me a valuable
lesson.  When I went I was very skeptical, basically
looking for ammo to use in my attacks on a callous
industry.  What I found there was not what I expected.
 With almost no exception, the artists I encountered
there - from the young and hip to the old fuddy
duddies - were very much motivated by a heart for
ministry.  Sure, there are those business-mongers in
Nashville who may or may not be overly concerned with
the bottom line, but there is also a great gaggle of
good hearts with good motivation

In my opinion (which is free, by the way) I think the
problem stems from trying to turn something that is
basically a form of entertainment into a "ministry".
Even Rich Mullins himself said that his music was just
entertainment.

> Please don't get me wrong.  I realize that many need
> to have a source like music to and be uplifted, to
> be taught, to grow.  To those who believe, Christian
> music can be that source. But what about those who
> don't know? And what about those who DO know, yet
> find an emptiness in the stuff that is out there?

Maybe they should listen to something else...

> I am stifled because of my own fears.  I am looking
> for support, encouragement, and friendships of those
> who feel the same.

What about support, encouragement, and friendships
from those who might not feel the same?  Any value in
that?

I'm really not trying to be contentious, I just think
that it's really easy to slip from disappointment and
disagreement into judgmentalism.

Or maybe I'm just full of it...

Kelvin

=====
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy that sustained him during temporary periods of joy."
                               -- W.B. Yeats