Christians in Music

I can understand where you're coming from Jorge.  I was recently looking
at my CD collection.  In past years I bought many CD's from the local
Christian Bookstore.  Much of it inspired me at the time.  Now my tastes
are shifting and less of that stuff appeals to me.  I still find some
artists that inspire me (Sarah Masen, Phil Keaggy, Iona, etc.) but the
vast majority is bland.

I'm still moved by artists that can express their longings regarding faith
in creative ways (Over the Rhine, Bruce Cockburn, VOL, Sam Phillips etc.).
This past weekend I had a chance to see a singer-songwriter named Brooks
Williams.  His concerts were awe-inspiring.  I was thoroughly impressed
with his songs, especially with the ease he writes about his faith.  His
new CD "Skiffle Bop" is very encouraging.

With regard to your idea about radio...You would be hard pressed to form a
radio station thats focus was artists of faith.  I would encourage you to
create a radio station (or show) that focused on artists with artistic
integrity.  While doing that you could support many artists that explored
their faith in creative ways.  I enjoy looking at the playlists of a
Cincinnati based station.  So many of my favorite Cincibased artists are
played along with other faves like John Hiatt, EmmyLou Harris, Sarah
Harmer etc.  There are also many artists exploring faith from outside the
Christian fold in creative ways.  Peter Himmelman comes to mind very
quickly.

Don't be discouraged that so much of CCM doesn't capture your imagination.
It wasn't intended to.  So much of it is targeted to the bottom line
(money).  But then so much of the general music market is targeted that
way.

Bill Keith
--
Bill Keith, WSDP Radio, Plymouth-Canton Schools