yellow (and the Gypsy Tea Room)

I am sitting here, watching MTV 2 (don't be alarmed; MTV 2 actually plays
real videos) and the Coldplay song "yellow" came on. Then i flipped up to
VH1, and Yellow was on their countdown (#19 or something).  Now, i know that
most of us think that we have a little treasure that will not be defiled by
mass commercial appreciation, but are some of the songs from FFR really that
far removed from what might be termed "smart-- and yet still popular--
music"?  (by this definition, i am thinking of bands like REM, Radiohead,
Coldplay, The Verve, or even Dido and Train.  And since those are just names
for comparision's sake, please don't start a new thread about how much you
all hate Kid A or Michael Stipe or something like that.)
Of course, having heard most of FFR for the first time live Saturday night,
I am still trying to figure out if Karin could fill a bigger space with the
power and beauty of "The World Can Wait" --  i am thinking of Reunion Arena,
and I think she could.  Point is, and I have the vaguest memories of a
similar thread (sometimes we lurkers don't pay enough attention) I think
that, with a little marketing push ($$$$$) from Back Porch, I think we could
see karin and co. on one of those fluff-pushing music stations we all claim
to hate (except when our musicians get recognized).

On a completely unrelated note, the new Fatboy Slim video is on right now.
I love it.  If you haven't seen it, figure out a way to do so.  It is
nothing but Christopher Walken tap dancing around an empty hotel.
Hilarious. Brilliant. Completely unexpected.

So, Saturday night, i finally got my second chance to see Otr live (the
first was the Emery 97 show and the Rhinelander roundup . . . I still love
Jane Siberry after that show).  I had never been to the Gypsy Tea Room
before, which is on the far west side of Dallas's attempt at an arts-type
district.  It was long and narrow, and the stage was TINY.  It was more or
less a square, and Dale's drum kit was in the back right corner, and it took
up more than half of the stage's square footage.  Karin was sandwiched in
between of Jack and Linford, and poor Wade was stuck in the back.  They were
having terrible sound problems, but it still sounded good from where i was.
I actually couldn't even figure out what the issue was.  I didn't move fast
enough to get a setlist, but, in random order,

The World Can Wait (I can understand why that needs to be the new Bond
theme)
If Nothing Else
Moth
Goodbye
I Radio Heaven
Little Blue River
Sleep Baby Jane
Latter Days
All I Need Is Everything
Faithfully Dangerous
and many, many more.

My wife had never been to OtR, and she was blown away.  She was even
inspired to pick up her guitar again (hoo-ray) and sing with me.  I think my
favorite part of the show was when Karin, i forget why, said "wooty-woot."
It was pretty funny.

umm.  That's all for now.  I suddenly realized what time in the morning it
is.  love to all.

ken
(or eustace -- formerly PippinTook . . . i guess i identify with the
underdogs who grow up to be heroes--i am still waiting for that part.  hi
Ysobelle.)

ken nussbaum
      fusion
972.239.9190 (work)