Re: April 4: Portland OR, Berbati's Pan *Review*

On 4/5/01 3:59 PM, quoth the brilliant chris at fumblefactory_com at
chris at fumblefactory_com:

>Anyway, Rose Polenzani (it's Italian, she says)
>opened, with a pretty relaxed set. I dig some of her tunes, but what made it
>especially cool, was Dave "Goodie" Goodrich's playing. The guy knows how to
>texture well. His use of reverb, delay, slide and e-bow are impressive. He
>did the coolest thing: at the end of the first song, he brought the guitar
>up to his face and blew across the pickups to create this breathy harmonic
>frill to end the song. Awesome. For those interested, he has a solo CD that
>he's selling while on tour with Rose, a CD of improvisational guitar. If
>it's anything like this, i want. yum.

(Rolling on the floor barking)

Man, he did that at the East End show he did with Peter Mulvey in
Delaware a while back, and all the women in the audience melted. It made
the most amazing sound, too. For those who haven't seen him, he's quite a
looker in a cute, self-effacing kinda way.

His CD is "The Failure of the Doping Summit," and it's very...out there.
It's currently packed away awaiting this weekend's move (wish me luck,
all) or I'd break it out and give it another listen. It's fun, and you
might like it. And hey, it's never a bad thing to support Goodie.

At the DE show, a guy in my group went up to him afterwards and said,
"Man, I haven't heard playing like that since I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan a
few years back." He really is that good.
If you go to Napster and look up Peter Mulvey's version of "I Am
Stretched On Your Grave," you'll hear Goodie. It's the whole "Clanging
Chimes of Doom" thing I mentioned the other day. Aurally Orgasmic.

>Here is the setlist (i snarfed from Jack)

Man, that's GOTTA hurt.