Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #505

i'm not sure if this will work....but i'll give it a shot.
i'm not new to the list...i've been reading for awhile now...and enjoyed
myself in the shadows. but after reading everyone's suggestions on books
that have deeply (or not so deeply) affected their lives...i had to add my
two cents.  there is an author that has impacted me profoundly.  his name
is jostein gaarder.  the first book i read of his is a novel....sophie's
world.  it was written with the intent to teach philosophy to adolescents
in a novel form....i'm far from adolescence at the ripe old age of 34 : )
...but this book was impossible to put down.  i've read it once, but plan
to read it many more times when a spare moment decides to present itself to
me.  he writes in a way that makes me totally re-evaluate my view of the
world...or existence...of God, but in a way that keeps me spell-bound.  he
also wrote shorter books-the two that i've read are the solitaire mystery
and the christmas mystery-both fascinating, and again, impossible to put
down.  i've ordered another of his on-line, and expect great things of this
novel as well.  there...that's my two cents on "good books".

i must also say that i'm a huge fan of otr. i saw them with my husband for
the first time at a cornerstone festival several years ago.  since then, we
won't miss their yearly coffee shop appearance at c'stone!  of course, we
wouldn't miss c'stone for anything!  i haven't decided if i like gdbd or
films for radio better.  both speak volumes to me.  i've recently got my
best friend hooked on them...and plan to reel in many more.  we saw them in
concert at a small concert in beaver, pa.  great concert...but in a small
gym that was accoustically lacking.  but it was fantastic nonetheless.
they opened for vigilantes of love, another of my favorites.  this too was
phenomenal...bill mallonee is a gifted man...perhaps on the brink of
insanity in his red plaid pajamas.... : )  but truly a genius and fun to
watch.

-ok...for a first timer- i probably wrote too much. one quick message...to
whoever wrote at midnight in their office about their interpretation of
"i'm not letting go of God, i'm just losing my grip"....  well said. ...hit
me dead center. no more words come....except.... thank you.