John Irving and other wordsmiths

Nobody else has mentioned John Irving?  Anyone else?

Kelvo

Of Mr. Irving's work, I am currently reading "The
Hotel New Hampshire" for the first time.

As with "Sister Carrie", this is a book I just felt
like reading - mostly because I own the book through a
strange circumstance and also because I don't want to
have a library of books that I've never read.

I'm still on page 24 after three weeks - I read fast,
huh?  Actually, the free time in my daily schedule of
life seems to be preoccupied with other duties.

It's quite entertaining so far.

Personally, I may put that book away to read some of
the few mentioned works this mailer has provided!

If you guys like tough reads, try "Sophie's Choice" by
William Styron - and try not to cheat and watch the
movie, or "2001: A Space Odyssey" by A.C. Clarke and
also don't watch the movie first on that one either.
Both books are very tough to get into, more "2001"
than "Sophie's" just cause Clarke can really bore the
pants off ya if you could care less about future
technologies (of with the man can discuss in great
details for pages upon pages - hell he did design the
first comminucation satelite in 1948, right?)
Of the "Odyssey" series, I read all four in succession
in jan, 2001 - why not, huh?!?! Because I can!!!! : )
2010, 2061, and 3001 are much easier to read once you
finish the first one.  Over all, it was very
interesting to finish them at the begining of the new
milliena and it gave me hope that someday A.C.
Clarke's dream of all phone companies eliminating long
distance by 2040 because it would be cheaper to visit
instead of calling!  God I hope we can get rid of Long
Distances!

Back to a more modern-time book, try "The Great
Gatsby" by F.Scott Fritzgerald - - especially if you
had the unpleasant experience of being forced to read
it in High School.  The book is light and a quick read
and looked completely different to me the second time
around.  I guess reading for the pleasure is very
different than reading for the pain/grade!

Hope I gave some good suggestion!

Chris in Arizona
Rama Zen I, The Prince Cybil of Thinking.
"You may have nine billion lives, but the trick is to
live them one at a time."