Re: Eureka!

kevin <GilHamilton at aol_com> wrote:

>for a very nice different take on Potter and wonder lit check out:
>http://www.cornerstonemag.com/imaginarium/features/muggle.html

and Kelvin Bailey <prestokelvo at yahoo_com>
also mentioned:

>Absolutely.  There is a great article in the most
>recent Cornerstone magazine called "Harry Potter and
>the Muggle" ...

Thank you!  Excellent article indeed!  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one
who saw similarities, and appreciated the 'at' vs 'through' metaphor.

Don Smith <dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu> wrote:
>I like Harry Potter, I just don't understand why it's become the hottest
>thing since sliced bread.  It's not *that* good.  Still, maybe it'll
>turn kids on to the true classics.

If I can venture a guess about part of the popularity...... It *is* that good
if you're 8-11 and the only fiction series being written for you are of
Goosebumps or (ach!) Animorphs quality.  My son (who is in fourth grade) has
devoured over the past year or so a stack of books that were mine or my
brother's when we were children: Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, several Hardy
Boys novels, a few of Madeline L'Engle's books, Roald Dahl classics, some
Beverly Cleary, and now the Chronicles of Narnia.

Even if you're not expecting deep meaning, and only looking for an
entertaining and satisfying read, I have not found children's books of that
same quality being written recently.  (Although perhaps it's more accurate to
say published?... and please, if I'm just looking in the wrong places, let me
know!)

Just my guess.  In any case, I'm not arguing with anything that gets a large
mass of children to happily tackle a 600+ page book... what tome could
intimidate a person who accomplished that (and enjoyed it!) at the age of
nine?  Yes, let's hope it DOES inspire more reading of the classics... and
perhaps more writing/publication of quality children's literature!

Related: someone (rhys? sorry, I can't find it again) said that instead of
banning, perhaps parental supervision would be more appropriate.  I
wholeheartedly agree, and I've found that my son self-censors: when I
positively refused to let him SEE 'Starship Troopers' but offered him the
book instead, he was enthusiastic... but only got three pages into it.  It's
on his shelf, and someday, probably in the not too far future, he'll get back
to it... but by then he might be more ready to digest the content, also.

Just my thoughts...
A.