RE: suggestions, please...

Hi!  Long time listener, first time caller...

Let me preface this message with a big IMO so that I don't have to repeat
it.

I'd recommend anything by Neil Gaiman, but in particular "Stardust."  It's
short, so you can finish it even if you dislike it (who can leave a book
half read, even a bad one).  I'd describe it as "The Princess Bride" with a
bit less sarcasm and a bit more romance.  He's one of the finest writers of
any genre.

I found Tad William's "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" series to be a bit
sophomoric.  Donald Stephenson's "Thomas Covenant" series is disturbing, and
not in a good way.  Neal Stephenson is good, but you can only stay in the
Matrix-is-cool mentality for so long.  Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" and
George Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" are the standards as far as epic
fantasies go.  Jordan started out well, but the quality of the series has
been in rapid decline since book 5 of the series.  In either case, the
stories are not yet finished, so it's brutal reading if you are one for
instant gratification.  Umberto Eco is great.  However, you have to be among
the literati or in the cognoscenti (or one who strives to be) to really get
all that you can out of "Foucault's Pendulum."  It was too much for my
feeble little brain.  I'd say "Name of the Rose" is a more palatable choice
if you want to read Eco.

If you haven't read the tried and true classics by American authors, give
them a shot.  It's where I go when I'm desperate for a good read.  Salinger,
Fitzgerald, Faulker, Steinbeck, Hemmingway, etc.

Kogan.