Re: Little Brothers Show

--- Lara wrote:

> I don't think that everyone at Little Brothers
> on Sunday night could be qualified as an OtR "fan."
> I was surprised to see a few people I knew there,
ask
> them if they'd seen Over the Rhine before and hear a

> response of..."no, but it sounded interesting"  or
> "my friend said I should check them out." Anyway,
> there were a lot of people there who were hearing
the
> music for the first time and were mostly in the back

> drinking.

this makes me feel a little better.  i just hope they
weren't too busy drinking and talking to truly enjoy
what was an amazing show.  to quote a friend of mine,
it was "groovalicious."  i'm still fairly new to OTR,
having heard them for the first time at a friend's
wedding about two years ago.  but i've seen them about
ten times since then and this was by far the most
"rockin'" show i've seen them do.  i was a bit
concerned at the beginning - karin's delivery of the
world can wait seemed a bit strange - not so much
vocally as just her movements and facial experessions
while she sang.  can't put my finger on it now, but i
thought to myself, "this is a bit weird."  luckily, it
didn't stay that way.  i really liked the arrangements
of the songs live.  to use one of karin's favorite
metaphors, the new dresses they put on them were
varied and much brighter than what i'd seen before.
bothered became a psychadelic, almost luna-ish number;
faithfully dangerous had a serious groove to it;  my
love is a MF fever completely rocked my world; little
blue river definitely had a "moonlight gardens" feel;
and the combination of give me strength and drowning
was definitely a highlight.  the band looked to be
having a lot of fun on stage.  linford likes this
venue (though i was hard pressed to see why) and i
think that came through in the performance.  he also
mentioned that the glasses he was wearing he had
picked up in columbus last time they played little
brother's.

i saw them for the first time at the moonlight gardens
and was amazed at their ability to create a beautiful
soundscape you could get lost in.  it was unlike any
concert i had ever been to before.  this show was
similar, but the soundscape was radically altered.
there was a joy, an exuberance to the show that you
could feel, even over all the distractions.  and the
dancing!  didn't see much of that at earlier shows.
but what a great time.  reminds me of a quote from one
of my favorite movies:

"Selene: I like the idea of dancing as a common
function in life, something everybody participates in.

Jesse: Yeah, I know. I heard about this old guy, who
was watching some young people dance. And he said, how
beautiful. They're trying to shake off their genitals,
and become angels."

here's to becoming angels.

> Where in the venue were you standing, Thurman?

i got there WAAAAAYYYY too early (i erroneously
thought the show *started* at 8:00 instead of the
doors opening then.  my was that wind cold.  the
upside was i was first in the door, so my friend and i
grabbed one of the tables so we wouldn't have to stand
the whole show. turned out to be a good thing, since
OTR didn't go on until way late.  but i did stand for
their whole set.

i do have a question:  anyone know why they dropped
jack's valentine from their shows?  i miss this song a
lot.  i have a friend who blames me for their not
playing it anymore.  i've seen them do it twice, but
neither time did linford sing it.  the rest of the
time they've left it off their list.  would like to
see it with linford singing sometime before i die.
still kicking myself for not cheering louder and
longer at moonlight gardens last fall.

ok, i should get back to work.  thanks for listening
and keep on dancing.

=====
'cause like all true believers
i am truly skeptical