Re: Dangling

--- "J. Marie Hall" <fionaeval at yahoo_com> wrote:

> i use the proper case for objects of a
> preposition
> too, but the funny thing is that this is all
> hooey.
> b/c language is ever evolving.  grammar rules
> change.
> the change in linguistics in the last 20 years
> is from
> an attitude of prescription to one of
> description.
>
> i'm not saying this to argue against what jeff
> is
> saying :)  just adding another aspect of how we
> could
> look at such grammar rules.
>
> i think it's good to be educated and use the
> current,
> accepted forms called "standard."  but there is
> nothing innate about grammar.  it's just a
> system.  i
> mean, look at our usage as opposed to the
> queen's
> english.  for shame.
>

> i'm a damn yankee,
> j. marie

I'd like to think of myself as someone who can
adapt to change -- but I admit that I'm a
conservative grammarian. I feel like a crochety
old man: "Back in my days, we used proper
grammar. Sentences had subjects and verbs. There
was agreement between pronouns and nouns -- and
we used proper pronouns because they *were*
objects of prepositions."

I understand that language changes, and with it
grammar, it's just very difficult for me to
accept it. Maybe I need counseling from a very
empathetic English professor.

So what the heck does this have to do with OTR?
Since I seem to be the *only* listee that hasn't
bought "Films for Radio" yet, I need to discuss
*something*.

Jeff McCloud
teamccloud at yahoo_com