Re: Dangling

jeff wrote:

> I'd like to think of myself as someone who can
> adapt to change -- but I admit that I'm a
> conservative grammarian. I feel like a crochety
> old man: "Back in my days, we used proper
> grammar. Sentences had subjects and verbs. There
> was agreement between pronouns and nouns -- and
> we used proper pronouns because they *were*
> objects of prepositions."

well, if it's any consolation, at least you know what
a subject is...and a verb etc.  what's interesting is
that the dialect of english spoken in the predominant
cultures of my school (i teach spanish to high
schoolers) doesn't have many verbs.  the kids just
don't use them.

now, there are things to be gained in a more
descriptive philosophy, but it sucks if you're trying
to learn a foreign language outside the target
cultures and for only about an hour a day.  just ask
my students.  i teach lots of english grammar so as to
lay foundations, but it's just plain easier if you
already know it.

> So what the heck does this have to do with OTR?
> Since I seem to be the *only* listee that hasn't
> bought "Films for Radio" yet, I need to discuss
> *something*.

now this is something that might require counceling :)

-j. marie