On My Mind

Dear Karin, Linford and all those who contribute to Over the Rhine,

I wanted to take a moment to share the little thoughts that have been inside
my head lately.  Over thr Rhine has been on my mind in excess the last few
weeks.  Let me first say that I am amazed at the work that went in to
sending out those pre-ordered CD's.  I really didn't think about what would
actually have to be done to get them out. I agree with Linford~ Stacie must
truely rock.  I live in the art student housing at my university and I can't
wait for smiley, lanky Karl the Residence Assistant to knock on my door with
a package in hand for me.

Anyway I was first introduced to Over the Rhine by a dear friend, Stacey
Winn my sophomore year at South Lyon High School.  We were driving in her
car when she said to me "Anne, you are gonna LOVE this.."  And exposed me to
Faithfully Dangerous and Jack's Valentine.  After that Over the Rhine was
the only music I wanted her to put in whenever we went somewhere in her car.

Ironically, my first live experiance didnt happen until the Ark show before
this past Christmas.  Stacey was there (no suprise, she's at all the shows
in MI) along with some of the other South Lyon kids that love you so.  It
was so good to see them~ there's not as much time for old friends once
everyone scatters to college.  That day I realized the love I had for your
music was nothing compared to what I felt after I saw Over the Rhine live.

I went to go visit the love of my life, Drax, who had recently moved to L.A.
While I was there he decided he wanted to come back home and we packed up
the Ol' van with all his clothes, amps, guitars and gear and headed across
the U.S. to Michigan.  All the while I kept thinking of how many hours on
the road Over the Rhine must have spent.  We enjoyed Tom Waits, Radiohead,
Bob Dylan, Folk Implosion.. four days of pure music exposure (and of course
the Besides album was included).  When I was driving, Drax read High
Fidelity.  When He was driving I read Til We have Faces.

Our goal was to make it to Cinci by Saturday night where his best friend
goes to college so we could stay with him for the night and they could play
their acoustic guitars and catch up.  They used to go to Little Miami High
School in Ohio together when they were freshman and sophomores before Drax's
family moved to MI.  While we were looking for the house I begged Drax to
show me the Rhine his dad spoke so highly of, but he couldn't remember where
it was.  We found out Sunday when we got home that we were merely a block
away.

SO that's it, not much of a point.  It just seems that whatever I do lately
creates images of Karin and Linford making music at their breakfast table in
my head and makes me think of what wonderful people you all must be.
Beautiful life loving artists~ loving the music and literature and movies I
love. (Quoting the Coen brothers on their web page....) I figured the best
thing to do was write it all down and maybe just maybe someone will relate.

Good Luck all and keep up the lovely work.
Anne